Wednesday 5 February 2014

Personal Post

'Dwarfs standing on the shoulders of giants': learning from other artists.

Amy gave an insight into artist Kristin Schimik. Schimik work focuses on the transformation of clay through time. This is relevant to my work in the sense that my work focuses on the transformation of a piece over time. In my work the rust on the cog shows this transformation.

Kristin Schimik

Amy also talked of Japanese born artist Shoji Satake. Nature is central to his work just as nature has always been central to my work with clay. 

Shoji Satake

Novie Trump an artist that Dominic explored the cycles of life in his work. He explained how Trump crafts 'intimate narratives that explore the cycles of life in nature'. The title of the piece that I am working on at the moment is called "Autumnal Waters". Autumn to me is symbolic of a cycle of life. I like also how there is movement in Trumps piece by the way the ceramic pieces hang by a thread in the image above. Movement features in my work through the use of water as a link between the old and the new, as a marking of time.

Novie Trump

Erica Iman, an artist featured on Saoirse's blog mimics the processes of nature. I find it interesting the way Iman pieces seem to almost be eroded by time. This would be relevant to my work.

Erica Iman

Molly featured the artist J.J Mc Cracken on her blog. She writes how Mc Craken's work focuses 'on the living experience - making and consuming, loss and the passage of time. Again the passage of time is of interest to my work and how other artists convey the passage of time. 

J.J. MC Cracken


  


No comments:

Post a Comment