Wednesday 5 February 2014

Work in Progress: Autumnal Waters

My work with clay lately has focused on the transition of time. The piece I am working is a rusted cog enveloped in a whirl of water. The idea is that the cog symbolises time, the rust on the cog symbolizes the passing of time and the water which  surrounds the cog creates a continuity between time and the passing of time.



My source piece for this project: a cog


Movement is an important aspect my piece. I want to create a sense of movement and flow to mimic the continuity between time and the passing of time. It was hard to try and mimic the idea of water and the continuity of time into clay.  Dutch artist Paula Bastiaansen work captures movement effortlessly and elegantly.  Her works helped me to convey the movement of water in my project.



 The colour of the glazes I used give an aged look to the piece. The glaze I chose for the cog give a aged, torn, bent and rusted look to the cog. I choose autumnal colours for the glazes. There is a matt like finish to the glazes. I plan on experimenting more with the glazes for the water of my piece.


Autumnal Waters
I chose the title ‘Autumnal Waters’ for this piece. Changes in seasons marks the passing of time. The colours of this piece are autumnal. Water is the link in my piece between the past and the present. I feel the title captures the essence of this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment